Hello! My name is Olga Morkova and I am a certified birth & postpartum doula, as well as a HypnoBirthing® educator. I have a first-hand experience of HypnoBirthing® technique, using it during my daughter’s birth.
I came to birth work after a successful career as a human rights advocate. After giving birth to my daughter, I became fascinated by the transformational power of giving birth. That’s how I found my true calling in supporting other women on their journey to motherhood. In my work, I combine an evidence-based approach, with an emphasis on mindfulness and relaxation.
I consider myself to be a culturally attuned doula. I have travelled extensively and learnt a lot about different cultures and cultural practices. I have travelled to and studied in more than 25 countries. I speak English, Russian and Ukrainian.
In my work, I use the qualities of the heart and mind together. I am constantly working on my professional development – I am trained with Spinning Babies®, an approach that gives a comprehensive plan for pregnancy preparation and labor activities to ease birth. I also trained with Penny Simkin how to support survivors who give birth. Having a regular spiritual practice helps me to be grounded in any situation and 100% present for my clients, when they need me.
When not attending births and taking care of families, I do production for a Grammy-award winning children’s musician Dan Zanes and his wife Claudia Eliaza, who are leading the sensory-friendly music movement in the U.S. I spend free afternoons with my daughter, cooking together, doing art projects and Montessori work, and lately learning Spanish. My biggest passions are live music, meditation and HypnoBirthing®.
I live in Silver Spring, MD with my musician husband and a 2,5-year old daughter. I am available to travel up to 45 miles.
Education, Certifications, and Training
- HypnoBirthing® Practitioner Training, Haymarket, VA
- Spinning Babies® Workshop with Tammy Ryan, Columbia, MD
- Breastfeeding for Birthworkers, Metropolitan Breastfeeding, Bethesda, MD
- When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Trauma and Sexual Abuse on the Childbearing Woman, Penny Simkin, Washington, DC
- Certified Birth and Postpartum Doula, Doula Trainings International (DTI)
- MA, Socio-Cultural Anthropology, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London
- LLM, Human Rights, American University Washington College of Law
- LLB, National Law Academy of Ukraine